Friday, May 23, 2008

One Would Think I Would Have Known Better!

As I have started to pay more attention and listen to the words I have been saying to myself and others I have been appalled. Over and over again in a whining and complaining manner I've been saying such things as, "Why won't people listen to what I have to share?" and "Why don't people want all that I know?" I have had the attitude that I know a lot about how to improve the education of Hispanic learners--After all, it has been my goal over the last 8 years or so to become an expert on this issue, and I have worked towards that goal paying a heavy price not only financially but with my time, energy, and emotions as well.

It wasn't until Dr. Scott Ferrin who is my professor, the chair of my doctoral committee, and most of all, my friend gently reminded me to be humble that I really heard what I had been saying.

One would think I would have known better! Many of my favorite books throughout my lifetime have been:
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People by Norman Vincent Peale
  • The 8th Habit by Stephen Covey
  • How to Be A Woman of Influence by Pat Williams
  • Influencer by Kerry Patterson, Joseph Grenny, David Maxfield, Ron McMillan, and Al Switzler
  • Plus many others!

The authors of these books would never recommend I complain and whine about people not listening to me. Although rereading those books might be helpful just reading the principles won't change a thing unless I apply them. Isn't that true of everything?!? It's the difference between being just knowledgeable and being wise.

No comments: